Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Can Loving Your Work Come Without Pain and Sacrifice?

Ahhh, the elections are over…and now back to your normal broadcast stations…

Image by Dominick Rabrun
And so it's back to my mind wandering again. One of the things I (and I suspect not the only one) ponder about is what I want to do when I grow up. I know some of you love what you do and you wouldn’t do anything else. I applaud you. But for me I can’t help but think there’s a career outside the Cube Farm that would re-energize, renew, and fulfill me.

As I was contemplating the possibilities, I came across an article, Lessons We Can Learn from Jiro Ono. In the article, author Maximiliano “El Nerdo” Nérdez reviews the documentary, Jiro Dreams of Sushi, in which he says: You must fall in love with your work. Yep, sure, I agree. He also says that doing what you love comes with sacrifices and pain--like excruciating pain. Ok, that's not new but do you need pain and sacrifice to be happy? What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment