Friday, November 2, 2012

Five Favorite Things Friday: Recreational Fun in the Desert of Ocotillo Wells; Filipino Soup; Jimmy is Right; Happy Post-Sandy Story; and Did You Know That About Nemo?

I apologize for falling off the wagon; there was a small shake up at the Cube Farm that has kept me preoccupied. I am adjusting to the aftermath but predicting the big Shake has yet to come.

But, HAPPY FRIDAY my lovely people!

Oh, and speaking of shakes and stuff, I hope you all were safe during Superstorm Sandy!

Have a super weekend and remember to turn your clocks back one hour this weekend, Nov. 4.


Favorite Travel Picture

We missed Superstorm Sandy last weekend whilst celebrating a friend’s birthday at Ocotillo Wells State Vehicular Recreation Area (it’s a desert about 75 miles east of San Diego, CA). If you are an off-road enthusiast, this place is perfect for you with 85,000 acres of magnificent desert to roam through. One of the best parts of the weekend was watching the sun rise amidst a fading full moon during the wee hours of the morning. I know, I know, no more sunrises! I can’t help it; eat my sunrises!
Ocotillo Wells Sunrise and Full Moon

Ocotillo Wells Bathing in Sunrise

Favorite Quote

I’d rather die while I’m living than live while I’m dead. – Jimmy Buffett (True dat Jimmy!)

Favorite Recipe

Hot soup isn’t what you’d typically crave after a weekend in the desert but it was exactly what hit the spot. And not just any ol’ comfort food soup, it was a traditional Filipino dish called sinigang. The soup was aromatic and deliciously sour. The copious amounts of fresh veggies made it hearty in contrast to the light and soothing broth. Thanks to my dear friend and host, I got mine served fresh and hot over a bowl of steaming rice. Mmmmmm, this will be perfect to make for the upcoming east coast fall/winter nights.

He won’t give up his recipe but here’s a version you can build on.
Maduro Sinigang

Favorite Story

A bright story post-Sandy:
Courtesy of WaPo

Favorite Random

As I was reading this, I was like “Really, I didn’t know that…” I suspect you will too!


No comments:

Post a Comment